• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any suggestions for stooped/sore shoulders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daysonatrain

Bluelighter
got a quick question maybe someone can help me out with. im a 25 y/o male, fairly skinny, 5'11, 160 pds. im not in particularly bad shape, but could certainly be in better shape. the problem i have is i have a lot of soreness in my shoulders (this has gone on for a long time). my whole shoulder area is slouched forward, including the base of my neck. when trying to fall asleep i cannot sleep on my back because it causes a very uncomfortable sensation in the shoulders/neck area. does anyone else have this problem and/or have suggestions of specific exercises to help stregthen/loosen up this area of the body?

sidenote- im broke at the moment so any exercises that require gym equipment/weight sets are a no go at the moment.

i also have fairly weak stomach muscles, would strengthening my core help the soreness in my shoulders? seems like most of my bodys tension resides in the shoulder, upper back area.

any ideas would be great. thanks in advance. :)

Forward shoulders (called kyphosis, though a much less extreme case than an actually hunched back) is pretty common. It's usually due to either a strength imbalance between the chest and back or poor posture. I'm going to guess that you aren't doing any type of exercise, so it's likely posture.

Most people who develop kyphosis due to poor posture do so because they spend most of their time hunched over a desk. Over time, your body becomes adapted to that position and it's difficult, or even painful, to straighten up.

My best advice to you is to be very conscious of your posture. Sit up straight, or lean back in your chair. Focus on pulling your shoulders back and keeping your ears over your shoulders. Do some shoulder rotations to loosen them up. Understand that it will take a while for your muscles and ligaments to adjust, and that it's a habit you're trying to break, but you'll be fine if you keep it up.

i know its not a serious issue and that its from gradual adaptation. i actually do work on my posture daily, with my meditation for 30 minutes every morning, but then tend to forget about it a lot during the day. are there any specific exercises to strengthen the muscles that you know of? thanks for the advice and will work on the tips you gave.

edit: gunna look google it and see what else i cant find :)

Last edited:
My cure all for muscle soreness and balance is yoga. I would maybe suggest an introductory Bikram class as they let you do your first week for $20 country wide (USA). Some DVDs and books from the library would certainly help as well.

Basically it sounds like you need some serious deep stretching and breathing, coupled with general strengthening. Yoga is perfect for this and will fit in nicely with you meditation goals.

peace

i used to have this too... but it resulted from torn shoulder ligaments and remained after a reconstruction because it was cosmetic. have you had any shoulder injuries in the past?

Yoga is good (especially tadasana, as it focuses your awareness on standing well), as are postural exercises to strengthen your rear delts and upper back. Assuming that this is a postural issue rather than an injury of course. Look around online for exercises targeting those muscle groups, and do low weight-high rep sets of them until you notice some difference.

Also, be aware of how you're standing. I have a similar issue, and even when I'm standing up 'straight' I notice that my shoulders are rolled forward. Consciously roll your shoulders back and down, and try to keep them there. It will feel a bit unnatural at first, and a lot like you're trying to puff your chest out, but after a while it becomes much easier. The easiest thing that someone can do to improve their overall appearance is to ensure good posture-- male or female.

no ive never had an injury, its mostly because im sitting at a computer a lot. thanks for the advice all.

The chest muscles, especially the deeper ones, (pectoralis minor) have gone into spasm and remained in that position. over time, they shut down in that position and other associations (neuromascular) also adjust so they whole body changes. It takes a long time, and the cervical vertebrae, adhere due to that strong ligamental contraction. you may need to see a chiropractor, but don't expect it to get better any time soon. It starts with unconsciously going into inhibition mode, where if you go into embarassment or fear, the part of the nervous system that inhibits (sympathetic), just pulls and holds those muscles in. Then repetition takes place and connective tissue builts around the new position and holds it there. The posture changes and gives you that look. it becomes worse as time goes by.

If you can't afford chiro work, an exercise which you stretch the chest muscles out, by stretching your arms back, find a couple of posts where you can pull on and expand the chest muscles or something of that sort, may help but need repetition.
It wont help in a way of elimiation, but will help to hopefully strengthen and expand the chest muscles, which have caved in, while it contrcts the back.

If you have any experience with the gym, then I'll make the following recommendation:

Deadlifts.

Done properly, they'll give you that "ramrod" posture in no time.

^ this guy knows whats up

Here's some more that will balance you out:
OH Press
Rack Pulls
Pullups (weighted)
face pulls
scapula mobility drills

If you work at a desk then get one of those balls people do ab crunches on and other stuff. Put it at your desk and sit on it maybe like 50/50 with your regular chair (perch more like it). Obviously you want to reserve this for when you are alone as it might be awkward for people you are talking to in your room to try this! People may think you are an idiot if they see you doing it, but you know what, your posture problems will go away.

damn, there are some really knowledgeable people on here, thanks for all the tips. since i posted this ive been using some of these techniques, working on it about 30 minutes a day, and have noticed a slight improvement. also forced myself to sleep on my back last night (it was quite uncomfertable) and when i woke up my shoulders felt much more 'pulled back.' just gunna keep working on it :)

and no, im way too broke to see a chiro :(

Therapeutic massage may help. It can also help you to become more aware of your body and thus make it easier to have proper posture ( did read that you're broke but if you can find a way it can help)

Status
Not open for further replies.